Monday 28 July 2014

Soi 19 Thai Wanton Mee 十九街雲吞麵 (Ang Mo Kio)

Thai Wanton Mee $3.50
Soi 19 Thai Wanton Mee 十九街雲吞麵 is a Thai style wanton mee stall that opened 2 years ago in Ang Mo Kio. If just seeing/hearing the name makes you think of the Bangkok's Saeb X2 Wonton Noodles, then you must be a foodie! The address of Saeb X2 is also Soi 19! 
According to makansutra, the owner of this stall is a Singaporean called Mr Ng Sing Chow who learnt how to cook Thai style wanton mee in Thailand. This stall in Singapore is not related to Saeb X2. 
The minimum order is $3.50 and customers have a choice to upsize, going up to $5. I have tried visiting this stall on a previous occasion, but the queue was just way too long (at least 15 to 20 people long). I was lucky on my second time when I visited on Sunday at 2pm. The queue was just 5 person long. 
Thai Wanton Mee $3.50
After waiting a good 15 minutes, we received our order. The Thai Wanton Mee was served with a bowl with 2 wantons. Customers can help themselves to the condiments such as dry chilli flakes, sugar, green chilli and fried pork lard.
Thai Wanton Mee $3.50
The bowl of Thai Wanton Mee consisted of egg noodle, vegetables, char siew, fried wanton and was topped with spring onions. Unlike our local style wanton mee, the Thai Wanton Mee was not accompanied with any sauce. Although it seems dry, once you mix this up, you would actually taste and find out that each strand of egg noodles was well 'oiled' with the pork lard fragrance. Although the egg noodles coupled with the pork lard oil tasted wonderful, it was a tad too oily for my liking. The other ingredients such as char siew, fried wanton and vegetables were really just average. 
Thai Wanton Mee $3.50
The soup with a little sweetish and salty. The two wantons in it did not wow me. 
Thai Wanton Mee $4
I bought back a packet of Thai Wanton Mee $4 for my family to try. 

From what I remember of my experience at SaebX2, the wanton mee at Soi 19 Thai Wanton Mee tasted better. However, I would not queue for too long for this and would certainly prefer for it to be less oily. Do note the that this stall is only open from Thursday to Sunday from 730am to 3pm.  

Soi 19 Thai Wanton Mee 十九街雲吞麵 (Ang Mo Kio)
Blk 151 Coffeeshop, Ang Mo Kio Ave 5
Singapore 560151
Tel: 9613 3340
Opening Hours: Thurs to Sun 730am - 3pm

View FoodieFC's Singapore Food Map in a larger map

2 comments:

  1. I love pork lard and I think they are quite generous with the self helping over it. Luckily it wasn't me, if not would have scooped out all. Quite interesting to see Thai version wanton mee though it wasn't the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard about this place but quite scare of the long queues. I heard that can be up to an hour.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...