Friday 25 May 2012

Blanco Court Prawn Noodle (Beach Road)

I have always wonder where is the best prawn noodle in Singapore. Many people have told me that it is at Adam’s road. Well, I tried it a long time ago and was not convinced that it was the best. 2 years ago,I heard about a prawn mee stall in kitchener road that has garnered lots of reviews, but have not tried it. Last year, I happened to chance upon this prawn mee stall along beach road called Blanco Court Prawn Noodle. Wow, its the best I have eaten so far. I made a trip twice recently to savour their prawn noodles (along with pictures) to show to readers. 
Menu (a)
Menu (b)
If you are a regular, you would have noticed that price has increased by $0.50. In addition, they now a new dish; Jumbo Prawn Noodle! I did not order this during my two visits. Hopefully I will be able to try this on my next visit and blog about it!
Despite there being a perpetual queue at Blanco Court Prawn Noodle, the waiting time at the queue and arrival of food is not long. They are very efficient! Look at the above picture. Each person has a task, it is like supply chain management. One does a part of the dish and then pass it down to the next person (left to right).
Prawn & Pork Ribs Noodle $5.50 (soup) 
The Prawn & Pork Ribs Noodle (soup) was topped with fragrant fried shallots. There are 3 pieces of prawns (half) and around 4 to 5 pieces of pork ribs. The prawns were fresh; firm meat that can be easily de-shelled. The beansprouts hidden underneath the noodle was not overcooked and go well with the noodles. Nothing to shout about the pork ribs except that they were tender. 

In a bowl of prawn noodle, the most important feature other than the prawn being fresh will be the soup. In this case, the soup was heavenly! Dark brown broth, rich and tasty flavour with umami taste from the prawns. Moreover, the soup is not oily. I found myself drinking spoonful after spoonful of this prawn soup. Totally souplicious! Certainty one of the best Prawn Noodle I have eaten.

If the soup is insufficient for you, feel free to bring your bowl to the counter and ask for more soup! I am guessing, this soup must have been prepared long before the stall opens with a combination of prawn heads, prawn meat, pork ribs and possibly lard. Any one has any idea? 
Prawn & Pork Ribs Noodle $5.50 (dry with chilli) 
Prawn & Pork Ribs Noodle $5.50 (dry with chilli)  
I am never a fan of dry prawn noodle, believe the best prawn noodle has to be 'eaten in the soup'. Nevertheless, I decided to try the Prawn & Pork Ribs Noodle (dry with chilli). The prawn noodles was topped with shallots. There is chilli powder at the side should you require it. Comparing the two dishes, I still prefer my Prawn Noodle to be served in soup! Reasons being I felt that the chilli masked the taste (sweetness) of the prawns and also the soup. Well, its a matter of personal opinion.

Blanco Court Prawn Noodle is a shop house with 3 stalls in it, the prawn mee stall, drink stall and Nor Hiang stall. Majority of the people order the prawn noodles. This shop house can cater to quite a large number of people, despite it being packed during lunch time. The good news is that the turnover rate is very fast. Most people eat and go. The queue for the prawn mee and the wait for the prawn mee is quite fast too. They are quite efficient! Although there is no air-con, the place is well ventilated. Moreover, it is cleaner that hawker centres. 

This is the best prawn noodle I have eaten so far. Anyone else has any recommendations on where the best prawn noodle stall in Singapore is? 

Blanco Court Prawn Noodle
243 Beach Road #01-01 
Tel:6396 8464
Opening Hours: Daily 715am to 4pm
                          Closed on Tuesday (Except when Tuesday is a public holiday)

Location


View FoodieFC's Singapore Food Map in a larger map

14 comments:

  1. Jumbo prawn noodle is not new! :P Yes I agree, this is the best prawn noodles. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it? I did not notice that they had Jumbo Prawn Noodles till the recent change in their signboard

      Delete
  2. looks awesome! i'm hungry for some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha your picture of the crowd makes me curious enough to want to try this ......

    ReplyDelete
  4. The dry prawn mee is new to me but the soupy version is one I normally have esp at our hawker stalls. From your review, the soup must have been excellent in taste and finishing all of the soup is what I do all the time.
    For my home version, I use the prawns shells, fried with a bit of oil and water added to simmer for about 1 hour or so. I don't add pork inside because my other half does not eat pork. I am sure some pork bones inside the simmering process will increase the flavours further.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi

      yes it was good!

      Thanks for sharing the tips!

      Delete
  5. thanks for dropping by. You are welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. if soup is the thing for you, you should try Wah Kee @ Cambridge Road Food Centre. Blanco Court's prawn soup cannot even hold a candle to this.

    if you like nice gravy on the noodles and also fantastic soup (though not as good as Wah Kee, but still miles ahead of Blanco), then it's Hoe Nam at MacPherson.

    the only 2 other stalls that can fight are prob the Zion Road branch of the Adam Road prawn noodles and Da Dong @ Joo Chiat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi

      Thanks for sharing. I have heard about Wah Kee for quite sometime. Looks like I must go try it soon else I don't know what I am missing!

      Delete
  7. Discovered one at Sin Ming's Famous BKT place Towkay He Mee. Si bei goood the broth. Luv it..shud try if anyone get stucked there with car repair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing. Do you remember e name of the shop?

      Delete
  8. the best soup version one i tasted is Beach Rd Prawn Noodles, located at 370 East Coast Rd

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...