Saturday 17 September 2011

Bario Ramen (Ramen Champion @ Iluma)

This is my second visit to Ramen Champion at Iluma. During the first visit, I tried Tetsu. If you are clueless on Ramen Champion, can read about it in my post on Tetsu.


This time, as we arrived early, there was a short queue (3 people) at Bario (during the previous visit, this stall had a long queue). Hence, decided to try this stall.



More garlic or chilli?
Bario Menu
Bario Menu (Bario Ramen)
Within 5 minutes of queuing (3 people), it was my turn to order. I ordered theBario Ramen(which is their signature dish) and added a Flavored Boil Egg. In return, I got a ‘land mine’! Another round of waiting!
Land mine
Waited for 15 minutes before the land mine exploded vibrated, signalling that my bowl of ramen is ready.
Bario Ramen $13 + Flavored Boiled Egg $1

Overcooked Flavored Boil Egg
Curly Noodles
The serving of Bario Ramen is not for small eaters. 3 pieces of Char Siew, curly noodles topped with a very generous serving of beansprouts. The beansprout seems much more than the noodles. The beansprouts was crunchy, but with such a big serving of beansprouts, I got quite sick of eating it towards the end. The noodles was thick, hard and curly. Being hard and curly, extra care has to be taken to ensure that my shirt will not be stained. Felt that more noodles could have been given and that each strand could have been thinner. However, to the chef, thick means manly.. The Char Siew was fatty, fragant and with a melt in the mouth sensation. Of course, I did not take all the fats, just one small bite to try as it way too sinful! The Flavored Boil Egg was a disappointment. Way too overcook, yolk was not runny.

The soup based was interesting. Should be pork broth with several other ingredients. But it was overpowered by the flavour of garlic. or should I phrase it that way too much garlic was added by the chef. (you can request for no garlic).

Overall, I am not won over. For the price, it was so-so. Could have been much better. Beats me why there was a long queue previously and during this visit. My  guess is everyone wants to try. But once everyone has tried once, will it be sustainable? Well time will tell. I will try other stalls soon and review them too! If you know any that is nice let me know.

Ps: Thee six Ramen restaurants are:
1.IROHA from Toyama
2.BARIO from Tokyo
3.GANTETSU from Sapporo
4.TETSU from Tokyo
5.IKKOSHA from Hakata
6.TAI SHO KEN from Tokyo

Bario (Ramen Champion @ Iluma)
201 Victoria Street
#04-08/09/10 Iluma (Bugis)
Tel: 6238 1011
Opening Hours: Daily 1130 am to 1030 pm
Website



View FoodieFC's Singapore Food Map in a larger map

1 comment:

  1. My sentiments exactly. I wondered why it had a long queue too. Im a guy and this is too overwhelming for me. Did you know there is a message which says you are a man! if you manage to finish everything in the bowl? It appeared at the bottom of the bowl.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...