Tuesday 4 December 2012

Tai Seng Noodle House (Amoy Street Food Centre)

I have been to Amoy Street Food Centre several times during lunch time on weekdays. To say the place is crowded is an understatement. Wait till you see the queues that stretch more than 20 people long and the tables are not cleared as the cleaners could not cope with the crowd. 

This time, I came down for lunch at 140pm. The lunch crowd was starting to slowly disperse away and more than half of the tables in the level 2 food centre were empty. But the tables were full of plates, bowls, trays as the cleaners struggle to clear them. As you walk inwards, you will notice that some of the utensils including trays are on the floor as customers had to clear the tables themselves. 

I knew that this was a good opportunity to try out one of the stalls that always have a long queue during lunch. I decided to zoom straight to Tai Seng Noodle House as there was no queue and I was hungry. Normally, if you come during lunch time, there will be a long stretching queue. There were a couple manning the song. The uncle taking orders and collecting the cash while the lady boss prepares and cooks the food.

Not knowing what to order, I decided to order their Cha Shao Yun Tun Noodle (Char Siew Wanton Noodle). As usual (in fact I will say act smart..), I 'upsized' my order, ordering $4 instead of $3. 
I was quite shocked when the uncle gave me my order. It was messy and  big huge massive!
Cha Shao Yun Tun Noodles $4.00
This was the $4 Char Siew Wanton Noodle which was served with a bowl of wanton soup. They were extremely generous with the ingredients; char siew, noodles and even wantons. 

The Char Siew given was tough and mainly lean meat. If there was a better ratio of fats to lean meat, it would have been better. With such a generous portion of Char Siew given, I got quite tired of chewing the Char Siew. A very generous serving of noodles was given too. The noodles was well cooked, with springiness and not too soggy. It was delish when mixed with the sauce which ensures that each strand of noodles was well lubricated. 
Cha Shao Yun Tun Noodles $4.00
The Wanton Soup was normal, there might be some MSG added into the soup. It came with lots of wantons, more than 10 pieces. Although each piece of wanton was small, with such a generous amount given, it was very filling. I especially like the skin of the wanton which was smooth and thin with a chunk of meat fillings in it. (for the sake of comparison, the fillings of each wanton was slightly bigger than those given at Pontian Wanton).

I should not have 'upsized' my order and just order the $3 version. Although I finish the Wantons, I did not manage to finish the noodles and Char Siew. 

Tai Seng Noodle House may not serve the best food, but it certainly must be the most value for money food stall around. The portions given are huge. No wonder there is always a long snacking queue at this stall. I heard that the pork rib noodles at this stall are good. If I have another opportunity, I would be keen to try it. 

Tai Seng Noodle House (Amoy Street Food Centre) 
7 Maxwell Road
MND Building Annex B
#02-123 Amoy Street Food Centre
Opening Hours: Mon to Sat 930am to 3pm
                         Closed on Sun
Location

7 comments:

  1. Quite a generous portion for $4! Too bad char siew's not up to expectation cause the plate of noodles look real tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. order the $3 portion is more than enough le.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats really a big portion. I would have struggled half way through being such a small eater. On the other hand, char siew is my fav and I probably would have finished these and left behind the noodles. The wanton soup looks tempting too.

    Thanks for your comforting words. I am trying to move on though the flashback of the robbery keep coming back to haunt me in between.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the food at this hawker centre but i always end up sweating buckets! super tak-glam walking back to the office in an obviously sweat-soaked shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so they closed at 2.30pm or 3.00pm ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been patronising this stall for couple of years after I read a newspaper article about famous stalls going to go extinct cos no next generation taking over...

    They give generous portions.. i always order $4.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...